FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
Printed from COOKS.COMhttps://cooks.com/qf0tb7s3
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Oil or solid vegetable shortening for frying
- 2 lbs. 4 or 5 green tomatoes, sliced 1/2" thick
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour and sugar. Dredge both sides of the tomatoes in the mixture. Press the slices firmly into the meal so it will make a good coating.
- Put enough oil or shortening in an iron skillet to come to a depth of about 1/4" and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the tomatoes to the hot oil a few at a time without crowding and fry about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook the other sides.
- When both sides are golden brown, remove from the skillet, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve hot.